Written by Marlon Palmer
UK CRIME THRILLER THE INTENT TO BE RELEASED ACROSS UK CINEMAS FROM 29th JULY
This summer’s eagerly anticipated film stars some of the UK’s finest actors and rappers
UK, LONDON: 29TH JUNE – Nicky Slimting Films and Purple Geko today announce their glossy British film, The Intent is set for a theatrical and multiplatform release on Friday 29th July. Written and produced by the award-winning Nicky Slimting Walker (It’ A Lot) and Femi Oyeniran (Kidulthood, Adulthood, Anuvahood, It’s A Lot), who also serves as director, The Intent tells the story of an undercover police officer assigned by Metropolitan Police unit, Trident to bring a notorious gang of robbers and drug traffickers to justice. As the officer becomes entangled in a web of gang culture and lies, will they have “The Intent” to abide by their oath to the force or succumb to the pressure and remain loyal to their crew?
Featuring a stellar cast of British talent, the film will be released in cinemas across the UK in association with Ourscreen, and on digital and home entertainment. To accompany the multiplatform launch, there will also be a motion picture soundtrack released simultaneously, featuring leading UK urban artists Ghetts, Rudekid, Ms. Banks, Big Tobz, Ruff Sqwad, Cadet and more. The soundtrack will be available on Friday 29th July to download online and purchase in stores nationwide.
The film sees Gunz, played by the critically-acclaimed Birmingham actor Dylan Duffus (1 Day and Line of Duty), thrust into a world of danger and excitement when he joins the TIC crew, led by the ruthless and notorious Hoodz, who is played by renowned UK grime artist and actor, Scorcher (Topboy). The crew, which also includes Mitch, played by Femi Oyeniran and D’Angel, played by Shone Romulus (Topboy), go from low-level weed peddling to full on armed robberies within a fortnight. As their newfound infamy affords them a glamorous life of guns, drugs and girls, they soon catch the unwanted attention of the police and a rival gang. To make matters worst they also have to deal with being infiltrated by an undercover police officer.
The film also features a number of leading UK artists, including successful hip hop duo, Krept and Konan, and champion of the streets, Fekky who is signed to Island Records. Other actors include Ashley Chin, (Law & Order: UK, Waking the Dead, Silent Witness, Casualty, Storm Damage), Jade Asha (Drake, AWOL) and Sarah Akokhia (Venus vs Mars, Hallows Eve).
Determined to break the mould of filmmaking, Nicky and Femi have partnered with UK based digital-social platform, Ourscreen – which aims to support the great work being done in cinema across the UK and enables film fans to control their local screens.
Director and Producer, Femi Oyeniran says: “We wanted to create a film that harked back to the American classics we grew up watching – Paid in Full, Juice, Belly and In Too Deep, films that starred the most popular rappers of their time. So we have been meticulous in putting every aspect of the film together from its conception to its release. From casting some of the best UK talent like Scorcher, Krept & Konan and Fekky, amongst others, to supplementing the film with a monumental soundtrack and music videos with leading artists such as Ghetts. We have also been working closely with new platform Ourscreen and believe that it is the future of cinema, especially for younger audiences as it gives them greater choice and flexibility over theatrical screenings.”
Writer and Producer, Nicky Slimting Walker says: “The Ourscreen model is a perfect way to make sure our film demographic are able to see it in their local cinema where it might not have been showing by setting up their own screening with friends and family. My hope is that The Intent will be the first in a long line of films that we plan to unleash to youth audiences with this platform.”
Actor, Scorcher adds: “It’s so exciting to see the film coming out after all the hard work we put into it. I’m really proud to just be apart of this.”
Director Femi Oyeniran Spoke to Kush and wanted to relay this information to other aspiring filmmakers:
THE INTENTION behind THE INTENT
We made this film because we wanted to make a film that was completely different to our first film, which is a comedy called IT’S A LOT, which is still available on Netflix. We didn’t want to be filmmakers that repeat the same film over and over again. As young filmmakers we want to explore different genres and this time we have chosen action thriller. Perhaps next time, it will be a rom-com.
- The film touches on myriad themes including religion, relationships, parenthood, policing as well as the more obvious themes.
- We wanted to create a film in the mould of 90s and early noughties classics, which featured rappers acting alongside actors and have gone on to be successful, such as Belly, Juice, In Too Deep and Paid in Full. We took elements of all those films to create this film. We were inspired by Hype Williams’ visual style as exemplified by Belly as well as the fact that he casted the biggest rappers of the day DMX and NAS in lead roles. Some elements of our story is inspired by Juice – such as the corner shop robbery and our lead character HOODZ is informed by Tupac’s BISHOP. The film follows the story of people who are reluctant to get into street life in the same way as Paid in Full. And ultimately, In Too Deep inspired us as we have a police officer who delves too deep like Omar Epps. These 90s/ early 00s classics inspired us to create this film.
- We wanted to create a platform that brought rappers (Krept n Konan/Fekky/Scorcher/DVS) and put them alongside up and coming UK actors Dylan Duffus, Ashley Chin, Shone Romulus, Sarah Akokhia etc.
- We wanted to create something independently from conception to realisation to distribution. Everything you see about the film is us; its funded by us and/or our friends.
- We wanted to inspire other filmmakers to have the confidence to make films – any type of film. If we can do it so can you.
Buy the film from iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/the-intent/id1131291379
Cinema Release Information:
A full list of the cinemas is available here: https://www.ourscreen.com/film/the-intent/
Additional cinemas to be added in August:
- Vue Bristol
- Vue Cardiff
- Vue Stratford City
- Vue Manchester Lowry
- Vue Leeds The Light
- Vue Wood Green
- Vue Acton
- Vue Star City Birmingham
- Vue Croydon Grants
- Vue Westfield
- Vue Croydon
- Vue Birmingham